Monday, January 18, 2010

future swaps...

This being the last full semester of school I'm looking forward to graduating and getting a real job. With the real job will come more free time and money which will all help my diesel hobby progress to new levels. I am planning several swaps in the coming years and each one I plan on documenting. I know there are thousands of diesel fans out there who would like to actually see how a swap is done, after all there is a general lack of information available about such a feat. So I plan on either hiring a videographer or just getting a buddy (or wife) to film the swaps to post on youtube. Personally, if such a video existed I probably would have watched it a hundred times...

My short list of swaps are as follows:

Cummins 4bt in a wrangler

This will likely be my first swap. I want a vehicle that I can use in the place of my truck that will get better fuel economy. The 4bt will be a rather simple swap because the engine will be mechanical.

A wrangler something like this....

7.3L in my '79 Ford

In honor of the old 7.3L motor I've decided to swap one in my '79 ford flatbed dually. This swap will also be relatively easy with a donor truck. I plan on getting a newer ('96+) ford donor and rebuilding the engine and adding some new after market parts. This will probably be the cheapest swap so it might actually come first.

This is my '79... needs a little body work but I think chrome stacks would set it off... so would the throaty rumble of a 7.3 straight piped.

A CAT c7 or 3126 in something...

The common rail c7 would probably be my engine of choice if I could remove some of the emissions stuff... the only problem is I can't decide what vehicle it should go in... it would need to be a good one because this would definitely be a show truck. The amount of money and work that would go into this swap means I probably won't do it for a few years although this is the one that people want to see the most.

This is a candidate I'm considering... this was my first diesel truck... beautiful... would be even better with a little yellow under the hood.

Old Chevy rust bucket...

I would like to see a common rail Cummins or an old 12 valve in an old rust bucket chevy. The chevy in the picture below is perfect... no exterior restoration needed just leave the beautiful ruggedness the way it is...

Anyways, I'm done with school in June!!! and as soon as I get settled wherever I end up I'm going to start documenting a swap!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. .

    Truck Chrome Stacks

    ReplyDelete