Saturday, January 30, 2010

Stacks

There are fans of stacks and there are fans of standard rear exhaust systems. Personally, I think there is a place for both. Stacks give a truck a much more robust and muscular look while rear exhaust is provides more of a sporty look.

I've decided that my '65 Ford is a good candidate for stacks. I think the stacks would give it a classic diesel look. The cab also has a very narrow stance with the back slanting forward slightly. This narrow side view doesn't look good in my opinion with the truck jacked up the way it is and I think stacks would sorta fill in this area.

Anyways, reasoning aside, I'm looking at options for this upgrade. If you go to the standard diesel shop or website you'll find prices for a complete duel stack kit around $1000. Well, I am certainly not going to pay that much if I can get away from it... So, I've been browsing around putting together a list of mixed parts to see how cheap I can make my own kit... I believe I could do it all for $300 and get an even higher performing system...

So I figured I would keep the downpipe that's on there which is only 4 inches, however, buying a 5 inch would definitely raise the price higher than I want to pay right now. At the end of the downpipe there will be a y pipe, and on the two ends of this 4-5" adapters. Two 5" flex pipes will go from there to both ends of the bed where there will be 45 degree elbows. Attached to these elbows will be 5" chrome pipes going about as high as the cab... (I already have a hard enough time in parking garages... no need to make it harder.)

I think this system will be better for several reasons. First the split comes earlier in the system allowing for a greater volume of flow before all the bends. Secondly, using flex pipe will make fewer sharp bends in the pipe. I may incorporate 45 bends after the y pipe as well... this would make for a total of 180 degrees of total bends (not counting flex pipe bending) instead of 540 degrees with the standard system...

Anyways, I'm planning on doing this upgrade during spring break... Until then I will continue research and start gathering materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment