Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Bucking Saga

So a couple weeks ago my truck started behaving strangely. First I would get intermitent dead pedal when starting out on a cold day...Then one day it started really acting up... on the highway when I would be getting up to speed on the ramp the whole thing would start bucking at about 45mph at high rpm before shifting into overdrive. Initially I thought this was the Transmission since it always seemed to happen around shift points. However, after further diagnosis and much time on forums I think the problem is in the fuel system. Also, when I'm travelling on the highway at 60mph and smash the gas it feels like the engine is choking out, this symptom would probably not be related to the tranny. When I first got the truck smashing the gas at 60 meant a thrashing back in the seat and a quick trip to 100... I think the reason it is bucking around shift points is because it is using more fuel being at a higher rpm...

I'm getting code p0230 which has to do with the lift pump circuitry... I'm not sure exactly what that means but given the amount of people that have problems with the lift pump, and given the fuel starved symtoms of the truck, I would have to reason that it's on its way out.

Also, when you hit the starter the lift pump is supposed to run for 25 seconds... I was hearing it yesterday when I was doing some diagnosis but she's quiet as baby Jesus today...

Anyways, not hearing the lift pump was the last straw. Running without a good lift pump screws up the injection pump and I want to put off spending 2k for as long as possible... I just hope she's not bad already. I ordered an airdog 150 today and I don't plan on running my truck until she's installed.

Been doing some in depth reading on forums about airdog installs and it appears as though you can go ahead and remove all the old lines, the fuel filter, and the factory lift pump; that sounds really good to me because I'm looking to do some cleaning up under the hood. The huge airdog fuel lines hook right up the the vp44.

1 comment: