Sunday, February 28, 2010

Are diesels good anymore; Reply!

Steve, I agree with your concern for the new line up of diesels. I think that we could learn a little from the Germans about diesel performance, Especially with all the new emissions standards. I know that the restrictions on emissions over there are not what they are here, 'I guess it's not as warm as here.' They have years of experience, so maybe we should tap into the knowledge of those around us, and learn from each other. (a bit of positive thinking)

So what of diesels they put in semi trucks, will they be hit with this new wave of environmental Bull shit. They are on a similar platform as today's fleet trucks, especially with the trend being more torque and horsepower.
In my opinion I will give the big companies a brake, considering they are not the ones enforcing all these new emission standards. I would call it a learning curve! Not only for the engineers but for government to realize that we can't financially function under such laws. And if they don't... then say goodbye to the world as we know it in the automotive realm. In these next few years it might be a lag in the system for good trucks, but it will have to come back around to some reasonable standard.

It is sad how the new trucks tend to be more expensive, less reliable, and a higher cost of ownership. I just say have faith, there will be a 7.3 & 5.9 in the future for us to play with. If not we can just play with the old boys! maybe I should go into engineering and just make my own, or you could have your brother design one for us. lol. I do get your concern for these new trucks, I just don't think it can last for long. Ford will be under so much pressure to keep up there reputation that they won't put out inefficient vehicles for long.
Till then...
Trent

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the Germans might just be better engineers than we are. After all we stole a lot of info from them in order to get the NASA program going after WWII. They are cranking a lot of horsepower out of engines that have similar architecture with the new 6.7L powerstroke. Although my gut reaction was to consider the new powerstroke a failure, since we americans like our grunge iron diesels, I'm thinking it might actually work. It looks like they've engineered a really good motor. I don't think it will have the longevity of a 7.3, but I think it will otherwise be just as good. Perhaps Ford is using a good deal of wisdom in moving away from traditional thinking, it is probably just the way of the future. It will be interesting to see which way Cummins goes.

    And from the truckers I've talked to they are suffering just about as badly from the whole EPA thing. After all, CAT no longer offers highway engines.

    ReplyDelete